Eurasian Resources Group Joins 1000 International Business Leaders to Pledge Support for Multilateralism as UN Turns 75
ERG was the only representative of large business from Kazakhstan in the list
Eurasian Resources Group (“ERG” or “the Group”), a leading diversified natural resources group headquartered in Luxembourg, has joined more than 1,000 companies present in more than 100 countries to show their support for the United Nations' call for inclusive multilateralism. ERG endorsed the Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation in marking the 75th anniversary of the United Nations.
The statement reads: “We, the business peoples, recognize that peace, justice and strong institutions are beneficial to the long-term viability of our organizations and are foundational for upholding the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Now is our opportunity to learn from our collective experiences to realign behind the mission of the UN and steer our world onto a more equitable, inclusive and sustainable path. We are in this together — and we are united in the business of a better world.”
Benedikt Sobotka, CEO of Eurasian Resources Group, who signed the Statement on behalf of ERG, commented: “This year has been one of global upheaval for everyone as businesses and communities try to mitigate the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. As we are reminded of the importance of collaboration and cooperation which spans the global community we are pleased to reaffirm our support for the United Nations and our work towards helping achieve the SDGs.”
As a signatory, and in the spirit of renewed global cooperation, the Group commits to the following:
▪ Demonstrate ethical leadership and good governance through values-based strategies, policies, operations and relationships when engaging with all stakeholders
▪ Invest in addressing systemic inequalities and injustices through inclusive, participatory and representative decision making at all levels of our business
▪ Partner with the UN, Government and civil society to strengthen access to justice, ensure accountability and transparency, provide legal certainty, promote equality and respect human rights
In making that commitment, The Group also joins the call on Governments to:
▪ Protect human rights, ensure peace and security, and uphold the rule of law so that businesses, individuals and societies can flourish
▪ Create an enabling environment to serve the interests of people and planet, prosperity and purpose, through strengthened international cooperation and national legal frameworks
▪ Enhance multilateralism and global governance to combat corruption, build resilience and achieve the SDGs
The statement of support – including the full list of CEO signatories – was presented to U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres by Sanda Ojiambo, CEO and executive director of the U.N. Global Compact, at the opening of the Private Sector Forum on the sidelines of the high-level meeting of the General Assembly to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the United Nations and the 20th anniversary of the U.N. Global Compact.
Eurasian Resources Group has been a signatory to the U.N. Global Compact since 2019, as part of which it is committed to the advancement of the Compact's Ten Principles that address human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption. This is in line with the ERG corporate mission: ‘Be the best at what we do. Drive global change whilst holding true to our values. Unlock the potential of the Earth and its people and ensure the prosperity of those who rely on us.’